I can feel my opinions of what is socially/morally/economically acceptable change as my experience in China continues… Here are the main 20.
1. Hot water is king. It’s cured everything for generations and will continue to do so into the future.
2. There are indoor shoes and outdoor shoes. You’re not a barbarian.
3. It is 100% acceptable to eat an entire meal out of a plastic bag.
4. The party doesn’t REALLY start till 1am.
5. If you’re sick, wear a mask. It’s only the polite thing to do since you’re a walking biohazard.
6. If you need to spit, you probably should… indoors, outdoors, with your in-laws, with your employer, etc etc. The world is fair game.
7. Street signs are optional. Traffic is based on the discrepancy of the traffic flow.
8. Everyone has a price… even doctors.
9. Personal space is a luxury for rich people.
10. Ma, ma, and ma are all different things. Don’t be ignorant.
11. Having your picture taken by/with strangers is a normal ordeal. Your face is probably in the camera roll of at least a dozen Chinese people you’ve never met.
12. “404 Error” is the earthly devil manifestation.
13. “TIC” or “This Is China” is a perfectly acceptable answer to everything.
14. If something can go wrong, it will go wrong, and you need to accept that.
15. “It is impossible…” because people don’t want to do it, not because anything can’t actually be accomplished. (See #8 for suggestions)
16. TaoBao is the online Chinese version of Costco… but better.
17. Confrontation is immature. Instead, you must run around a problem several times, pray it’ll eventually go away, and then eventually hire someone to deal with it so you don’t have to.
18. “mmhmm hao mmhhm hao mhhhm hao de hao de hao de” is a perfectly acceptable phone conversation.
19. A “line” or “queue” is a mythical western manifestation. In China, there is just a point in which you should begin to crowd aggressively.
20. You were once new in China and someone helped you establish yourself. Karma is real. Pay it forward.
Do you live in China? Tag me on Instagram @wanderonwards with a photo of how China has changed you and I’ll give you a shout out! Like my Facebook page @wanderonwards to stay on top of what’s going on in China and what resources you have available. Follow my smart-ass comments on Twitter @wanderonwards and stay tuned for more articles!
Reader Rating: 0 Votes
About Vanessa Elizabeth
Vanessa Elizabeth is a cultural chameleon currently based in London. She enjoys sports (such as CrossFit and dating), cooking, and demolishing her savings account. When she's not busy blogging about her feelings, she works full-time and practices Chinese with her English/German friends.
You May Also Like